Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Life Changes

First, a big thank you to fellow blogger, Lauren (aka Crazy Herb Lady), for inspiring me to add to this blog.  I have neglected it for a while due to major life changes.  However, it is nice to come back to this site as it is like seeing an old friend that was always there for me during my times of distress just lending an ear.

We have moved to a different state.  The past year has us three plus two cats and one dog living out of a small travel trailer while trying to renovate a house located in another town.  Doesn't sound too bad except that we are on very limited financial means now and no longer have our material possessions from last year.  Last I heard they were in military storage but I have a strong feeling they have been auctioned off.  I honestly don't care about the furniture, but I am sad about the photographs, my college diplomas, and my son's drawings/paintings/school work.  Those are the things that I can never replace.  Don't ask me what happened b/c I am not in the right mentality at the moment to explain it all.  Perhaps in the future I will be able to talk about it all in a rational, reflective, mature manner. 

The cool thing is I enjoy living life out of a camper.  It's kind of like being forced into gypsyhood.  I have enjoyed having no television for the past year.  I do not miss it at all.  I feel left out of conversations when people are discussing certain shows, but that is not a big deal.  I have turned my spare time into improving myself.  For example, I have lost 50 lbs. and completed my first 5k.  I try to get in at least 2 miles of running a day.  This has helped not only my body but my mind improve drastically.  I am not where I want to be physically yet, but it is a long hard process that I will succeed at.  As for my mind, I will always be striving to learn more.  Also, I am now a volunteer fire fighter.  I love it!  I never thought in a million years that I would become a fire fighter at the age of 37, but here I am.  Last but not least, I plan on going back to college for a nursing degree.  The profession I am currently qualified for is hard to find regular work in.  Although I love it tremendously, I need to be in a profession that allows me to travel, make decent money, make a positive difference in the lives of others, and know that I can always find a job. 

As for my child, he had trouble adjusting to our life changes at first, but has improved greatly.  At first he cried, missing his friends from school and his toys and the familiarity of his old home.  He still misses those things but has learned to enjoy the freedom of living in the country where he can run around without worry, getting to experience nature first hand on a daily basis, and spend quality time with his grandparents.  I have found a couple of kids for him to play with several times a month.  We homeschooled him again this past year, but I am thinking he may be forced to attend a public school this coming year as I will be occupied with my own schooling.  I want to get him into a local private school but we just cannot afford the tuition, even with the financial aid they are willing to contribute.  It is such a fantastic school too.  My hope is that once I complete my nursing degree I will make enough money to put him into a private school. 

That is my 'let's catch up' blog for the time being.   I hope to add more in the near future, but focused more on my aspie child instead of the family situation.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Busy year. Life is interesting.

    Thank you for coming back. Maybe look for charter schools in the area. We have several in this area that focus entirely on autism / Asbergers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren. There is a school just for Aspies here but the drive is a bit too much for us to do five days a week. So, it looks like either home schooling or public schooling will be in the works.

    ReplyDelete